Sunday 17 March 2013

Yummy Healthy Oat / Banana Cakes !

Hi there !  I have been digging through my recipe archives and have found this old winner !


It is a recipe for Oat Cakes - without using any flour !  I have modified it slightly and you can make your own variations on the theme but here is the basic recipe ...

2 cups  rolled oats
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 big banana)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or mixed spice
1/2 cup  desiccated coconut
1/2 cup  rasins or cranberries (I also used Sultanas and finely chopped Dates)
1/4 cup  honey (I used 1/8 cup honey and 1/8 cup molasses)
1/4 cup  olive oil

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 fan forced (actually I used Gas Mark 6 – but then I do for most things in our Narrowboat oven!).  Line a baking tray with baking paper.  Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. 

Pull out approx 1 tbsp of the mix and roll into into a rough ball, then flatten slightly before putting on the baking tray.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Cool before eating.  Store them in an airtight container and they last about 5 days.

Will make about 12 cakes.

(If you want a gluten free option, just choose gluten free oats !)

No comments:

Post a Comment