Monday 25 April 2011

Yummy (and Healthy) Brekky bars

This is one of my well-used recipes and, having just baked another 'loaf', I thought I would share it on my blog here ...

Makes - 18 pieces
Ingredients

3/4 cup self-raising flour
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup sultanas
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
3/4 cup low-fat milk
1 egg

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 17cm x 27cm (base) slice pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at long ends.

Combine flour, coconut, sugar, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sultanas and apricot in a bowl. Whisk milk and egg together in a jug. Add to flour mixture. Mix to combine.

Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until firm. Stand slice in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 18 pieces ... enjoy ! 


Today I didn't have any seeds, so used some ground up almonds and brazil nuts that I had.  I also used half the amount of sugar and used a 'dollop' (technical term) of Manuka honey.  I also added in a dollop of LSA (Linseed, Sunflower and Almond meal) and some Lecithin - just for good measure.  Also - instead of sultanas - I used 'Craisins' - which are the cranberries.  It takes pretty good to me .. just shows you can modify it with whatever you do have !


1 comment:

  1. Oh these look sooooo good! I'll definitely have to try them sometime! Thanks so much for posting!!

    ReplyDelete